Friday 26 February 2010

Sailor Trousers!

I'm not the first, and I doubt I will be the last: to turn Burdastyle's Ruby shorts pattern into wide-legged trousers. As part of my Stash Bustin' challenge, I chose this project to tackle some of the vast quantity of navy stretch twill I inexplicably have in my possession. This was a great project to do so as these trousers are FAT and took an epic amount of fabric to create. In fact, I initially drafted the legs even wider, but upon fitting I decided to skim some off.

I applied simple patch pockets to the butt, and missed out the front welt pocket and belt detail which appear on the Ruby pattern, just as I did for the two pairs of Ruby shorts I made at the tail-end of last summer. The buttons used are vintage pearl ones from my button stash, I was lucky to find eight of the same in there.

I'm glad I have these trousers ready for my Me-Made-March challenge which starts on Monday! I've come to accept the Treggings are too small, now I'm back drinking booze and put a bit of weight back on, so the only other pair of successful Me-Made trousers I currently have are my Jeggings. I wear trousers almost all the time so I'm sure these sailor trousers will get alot of wear. Sorry there are no pics of these trousers being modelled here, but I'll be documenting each day's Me-Made outfit on this blog, so I'm sure you'll be sick of the sight of them by April.

I'm massively in love with these Tara Starlet sailor slacks pictured above and one day, when I've got a bit more time, I'll figure out a way to create a more accurate version. Until then, these Ruby sailor trousers should suffice.

8 comments:

Clare said...

Nice! Go on, show us a modelled picture!

lenarrd said...

Super cute! I thought the top of those Tara Starlet trousers looked a lot like the top of BurdaStyle's Kasia skirt, perhaps there's a way of modifying it? Also found this pattern the other day which seems similar too : http://www.simplicity.com/images/product/large/2656.jpg

View E is the one I'm talking about :)

Im Estee said...

They're lovely and I'm sure with your talent you'd be able to modify an exisiting pattern.

Karin said...

Oooh, nice! Spring is in the air even up here, and navy-themed clothes always feel so very right for spring, perfect!

kate said...

Sick of them?!! Are you crazy? That's one of my favourite things about your blog! I love pictures of you modelling your me-made outfits! Thank you, and keep up the inspiration!

Angela said...

Those are so cute! I have a pair of sailor pants in my queue, too! Have fun with the Me-Made-March challenge. I think that would be fun to do, but I don't have enough clothes that I've made to last me all of March. :P

Camelia Crinoline said...

They look great. Can't wait to see what they look like being modelled by you. Sailor trousers are on my ever-growing list of things to sew.

Anonymous said...

Those slacks look like a miy of Kasia and Bella...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...