Friday 9 August 2013

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Frill Hem Denim Shirt Remake


Hmm, I must admit I'm not in love with this project. It was very much an experiment I did last year when I had some spare time. I'd had some ideas floating round my head and I wanted to try and make them a reality, and while I don't think all the elements I've ploughed into this garment work in unison, I do think there are some good ideas in here that might inspire some more successful refashions in the future. 


So what IS going on here? Well, it's basically a bodice with a gathered strip of fabric to form a frill at the bottom that kind of brings a peplum effect. I wanted to try remaking a shirt with a princess seam bodice pattern rather than the usual bust dart shirt remakes I've made in the past. To be honest I can't remember which pattern I used, but any princess seam bodice pattern like the By Hand London's Elisalex dress would be a good basis. I really like how the recutting of the shirt front slices up the original pocket detail (pictured below). 


The frill was made from fabric harvested from the removed sleeves and seamed together to form a simple long rectangular strip. Plus, as you may have gathered, the cap sleeves are made from the original cuffs. I've seen this done better on other peoples' refashions! I think mine would have been better if the proportions were a bit more subtle, perhaps if I removed the buttons and brought the cuffs/caps in a bit so they don't protrude out as much. 


But anyways. My intention was not to present you with a garment and then to list its flaws, I just wanted to show you the results of an experiment I had in the hope that an element or two from it might trigger some ideas for your own refashionings. Have a fabulous weekend. 




22 comments:

Mel said...

I think it looks really good and would look great with a black pencil skirt of black cigarette pants.

Lucy Legget said...

I love the cuffs as sleeves. I have a top with very wide square sleeve caps like this and I always think of it as my Star Trek top. I wouldn't have thought to use the cuffs like that. I think this is a fab top. Great inspiration. Thanks.

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

So cute! those cuff sleeves look wonderful :-)

Melody said...

I think it's amazing! It's something I could imagine TOPSHOP coming up with whenever the cowboy/country trend comes rolling around again.

But, you know. Better.

Fran said...

Interesting experiment. I very much like how the princess seam dissects the pocket. I think that's very cool.

Shannon said...

I love how this turned out!! I want it!

Marie said...

Are you kidding me?!? How can you not be thrilled with this? Personally I love all the quirky details...the way the princess seams slice the front pockets, the cap sleeves out of cuffs and the flattering peplum! Genius!

frk.bustad said...

I'm impressed! What you've done with this one is really cool! But as you say, lots of things going on. GOOD things, though, but maybe the cuffs would work better without the peplum and vice versa? Maybe if the cuffs were made slightly more curved and not square, they would work better with peplum? Still, the cuffs really make this different from what you'd expect on a top like this, which is cool!

Sucre said...

I really like the look of it and would wear it proudly! Don't be so hard on yourself, you did a great job.

Shorty said...

I think it's very cool and funky. Great job!

milena said...

I think this is really cute and could see myself doing something similar with a boyfriend's shirt. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tania said...

Loving those cuffs! Another brilliant refashion - you are such an inspiration. Guess what I'll be hunting for in the charity shops today!

Janet said...

Really clever. Nice!

Anonymous said...

I think it's really cute! I love the peplum detail. What about if you dyed it black? It might sort of tie everything in together and make if very cohesive.

Anonymous said...

I think it's really cute! I love the peplum detail. What about if you dyed it black? It might sort of tie everything in together and make if very cohesive.

Stephanie said...

This is a really cool refashion. I don't think the proportions are wrong at all, at least not on a dress form and I love how the princess seam slices up the pocket.

French Toast Tasha said...

I agree my favorite part is the cuffs as cap sleeves, I love that idea. The cuff sleeves and sliced pocket have a bit of a more tougher, more masculine feel which contracts with the soft ruffled peplum. I like garments that combine a bit of both tough and feminine! Maybe it would look a little more cohesive if there were some sliced and stitched pieces and/or extra top stitching on the peplum as well?

ari said...

I think it looks awesome! It's totally something I would wear!

LLBB said...

I think the cuffs as cap sleeves, and the princess seaming, especially with the pocket cut off, is all really interesting!

Wanda Bray said...

Wonderful refashion. I have always wanted to take a basic pattern drafting class that I could use what I learned to refashion garments but the courses have always seemed so intimidating. Now I feel I can learn everything I need from you. Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring!!!

Unknown said...

Very nice http://stefy81fashion.blogspot.it/?m=0

Anonymous said...

What do you mean!!!?!?!?!? THIS IS THE CUTEST BLOUSE IN THE WORLD!!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...