Friday 4 May 2018

Free Pattern Friday: Women's Lago Tank



This is my monthly feature where I road test a free sewing pattern or tutorial: sometimes a children's one, sometimes a women's one. I publish these posts every first Friday of the month, timed to provide inspiration for those of you who plan to get their sew-on over the weekend. I firmly believe that, if you pick your projects carefully, sewing doesn't have to be a crazy-expensive way to clothe yourself and your family. Thanks to all the amazing pattern designers who have offered up their hard work for us to enjoy for free.

I didn't blog about a free sewing pattern last month because I wanted the MMMay'18 Sign Up post to be visible at the top of my blog for a couple of weeks, but Free Pattern Friday is back my friends. I must make a quick apology for how creased this garment looks! I actually made this tank (Itch to Stitch's Lago tank) months ago, almost immediately after I tried the free Durango tank pattern. I didn't want to post about this one straight away for risk of turning this feature into 'Free Tank Pattern Friday', so it was stashed away until last week and I didn't notice how creased it was until I sat down to edit these images. But I'm not sorry enough to retake them! Thanks so much to Itch to Stitch for releasing this pattern for free. 


(image source: Itch to Stitch)

Pattern type:

Many Northern hemisphere sewers/sewists are probably starting to think about getting their arms out right about now, and Southern hemisphere sewers are probably starting to think about layering up. Either way, this knit vest/tank top pattern might just be what you're looking for. Its features are listed as a scoop neck, relaxed fit and arm and neck hole bands.



Sizing info:

This generously graded pattern spans sizes 00 to 20 (busts 31" to 46"). Helpfully, finished garment measurements are included to help you pick which size to go for. I'll be honest with you, I've lost the actual pattern pieces, but I think I followed the size 4 for the bust, grading out to a 6 for the waist and hips (my usual MO). My tank has turned out a little looser around the waist and hips compared to the garment in the picture on the pattern 'cover'. I could, of course, easily take it in at the side seams, but after wearing it to sleep in, it was so comfy that I've decided to leave it like this for now. 



Fabric info:

The pattern recommends to use 'light to medium-light weight, 2-way or 4-way knit fabric with 50% to 75% stretch and good recovery. Jersey and ITY knit are good choices.' For my version, I used yet more of the sparkle dotted jersey/elastane blend from Girl Charlee UK/EU (currently out of stock, but I'm sure they'll have  something similar) that I used for my Durango tank. The quality of this fabric is fantastic: the perfect weight and stretchiness for this type of garment. This pattern is a potentially fabulous stash/scrap buster as it requires less than 1m of fabric. 



Findings: 

The pattern and instructions are included in the same PDF, and both are excellent and very professional. The construction process has illustrations for each of the steps, and the pattern includes plenty of clear markings, including lengthen/shorten lines, which I like to see. I also really like the shape on the back piece around the shoulder blade area. It does mean that your bra straps are visible, but the subtle racerback is a really nice feature. My only gripe worth mentioning is minor: the aforementioned unexpected looseness round the waist and hips.




Customisation ideas: 

To be honest, I can't think of anything new since I posted about the Durango tank pattern, so I'm going to copy and paste my suggestions for some ways that you could get more use from both these tank patterns:

  • contrast neck and/or armhole bindings (perhaps in rib) 
  • add seam lines for colour blocking solid coloured front and a print or stretch lace back 
  • lengthen into a dress
  • apply iron-on transfers or decals 
  • add applique 

Would I make it again? 

Err, maybe. I'd have to find the pattern pieces for a start! I now have two tanks, both of which I plan to wear as sleepwear during the summer, or as activewear if I ever start doing any exercise! So two is probably enough for me at this time. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the fit on you. Immediately drawn to the shape and looseness. Seems modern and tough.

Fabric Tragic said...

You know I love this pattern, and that extra ease in the abdomen made it great to hack as maternity top! This looks like a much better fit than the other tank.

TracyKM said...

I made three of these tanks for a cruise. I don't remember my bra straps showing, or maybe I just didn't care. I might have had a bikini top on at the time anyway. You can see them at http://tracykm.blogspot.ca/2017/11/lago-tank.html I don't have that much fullness in the abdomen like you. In the picture of your top on the mannequin, it almost looks like it's snug at the bottom, and loose above. So maybe it just needed grading out a smidge to keep the ease consistant?

Jessie said...

I think you just unearthed my perfect tank top pattern (and FREE, to boot)... I didn't even know Lago existed! Happened to see this post a couple days ago and finally made time to breeze through my first version last night to wear to work today. Quick to sew and well-finished. I have about 10 of these planned now, you have created a monster :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...